This post isn't going to be about the fabulous party they threw for me or that the party also included a unicorn piñata (what did I tell you....awesome!!!) I can write more on that later;
You see.... When you turn 40, you become reflective...at least for a few minutes. I think it is because it really could be the middle of your life. For me it was a time to take stock in the things I have accomplished and my future
endeavors phases. My reflective moment had me creating a list of things that I felt were a part of what makes my life awesome. Some things on the list you might have heard before...but I thought I would share anyway. I will keep the list to 20 nuggets of "advice" ( I use that term very loosely). Please feel free to comment with your own little nuggets (that sounds weird...but funny weird, so I'm not editing it out) So....here you go:
- Don't "collect" friends. It's better to have a close group of friends who will really show-up for you, instead of a contact list full of friends who will show up for your Superbowl party... but won't be there for you when you decide to adopt 2 puppies at the same time and are totally regretting your decision. (that's a true story... for a later post)
- There is nothing wrong with turning down an invitation to do something. If you don't want to go out, just say so. Don't make up an excuse.
- Your relationships with your family members can change over time. A lot of it has to do with how you deal with things. Remember...you are now an adult, act like one even if the other adults aren't.
- Don't be so serious. Make sure you have as much fun as you can... at most everything you do.
- The "fun" (see #4) should include lots of laughter (which might require Depends if you have a weak bladder).
- If you've picked your friends according to #1... then #2 shouldn't be a problem. Real friends learn who you are...but you need to do the same for them. They also need to call you out on your shit. That's what friend do.
- Forgive yourself for stupid things you did as a kid, teenager and young adult. Once you're 30...you're old enough to know better and will have to live with that guilt until you die, sorry.
- Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission
- Fart jokes are still funny at 40. If you don't think so...I'm sorry that you are missing out
- Not every friend has to be a best friend. Friends play various roles in your life, and sometimes the roles change as time goes on. It's OK. Sometimes a friendship might have run its course. It takes courage to walk away from a friendship that isn't working out anymore, but it is worth freeing up yourself and that person to have the right people in your lives.
- You can have views that are different than your family members and still be able to get along really well...but you have to be brave enough to set ground rules when it comes to touchy subject (ie: politics, religion, paper or plastic) Sometimes the rule is that no one can talk about the touchy subjects.
- I would rather live paycheck to paycheck doing something I love than have lots of money that I earned doing something that doesn't bring me joy. (but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy winning the lottery....even just the $100,000 jackpot....I'm not greedy)
- Be sure to have at least one friend who will honestly tell you if your ass looks like a billboard in those pants...and be sure she goes shopping with you every time.
- Don't do something you know you won't enjoy doing just to go along with the crowd; but also be willing to try something new, if you have some interest in it...even if it scares you. (example: I won't go skydiving...ever. I have NO interest in trying it. I don't understand the concept of voluntarily throwing yourself out of a plane..... I did, however, have a group of friends convince me to backpack across Mexico and work on an organic farm with them for a month, a few summers ago....I had NEVER been camping before this trip. Yes, it was outside my comfort zone...but traveling is something I love...it was a life changing experience...totally worth it! I'll blog about the Mexico trip at some point too!)
- Everyone should live in a big city for at least 6 months in their life. It's good for your soul...and it also makes you appreciate the small town you grew up in (hopefully...unless you grew up in a small town that totally sucks...if you did, just skip #15)
- The level of happiness in your life solely depends on you. No one else.
- If you are still blaming you parents, siblings, exes, 8th grade Volleyball coach, etc...for your problems/unhappiness...you are wasting a lot of time and missing out on life
- Your presence in this world changes people's lives. Think about that.
- Know that everything you post on Facebook or on your blog goes into your permanent record
- Just because your opinion is different than someone else's doesn't mean either of you are wrong it just means that you have a differing opinion...unless it involves the following..then you are TOTALLY wrong:
- If you like Rick Perry (he is an asshat...I don't care what you say)
- If you like Mariah Carey's music (although I can forgive you for this one... I may hold it against you, but I can forgive you..but you're still wrong)
- If you think it is OK to bash someone because of race, sexual orientation or special needs. (policial affiliations are fair game...just sayin')
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”